Variety again I’m afraid, with tracks from a bunch of Milwaukee collaborators, a film music studio not quite on the Pont d’Avignon, the legend that is Plastikman and, to start, a multi-instrumentalist obsessive in Portland, Oregon.
Violet Waves - Bike Thief (Portland, OR, USA)
Bike Thief is the brainchild of vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Febian Perez. According to PDXPick.com, Perez was inspired by the Italian film, The Bicycle Thieves, when he named his band Bike Thief. After moving to Portland in 2012 and auditioning over one hundred musicians, Perez finally found band-mates who could help him realize his precise and complex musical vision.
Perez acknowledged that he knew exactly what he wanted out of the band back when he was the only member and living in Austin, Texas. It was tumultuous at the beginning, and Perez admits that he is a bit obsessive when it comes to his sound and, by extension, the pieces that make it. Perez is adamant, however, that this obsession comes from a place of passion: “I want to make our music as true as possible to the sound I hear in my head.”
Last weekend saw release of their debut record, Stuck in a Dream. Benjamin Violet, known for his work with Of Montreal, The Polyphonic Spree, and Kishi Bashi, directed the animated video for “The Burning Past.” According to Portland’s Deli Magazine, Bike Thief “capture sounds of deterioration and rejuvenation through crooning vocals and stirring string movements.”
Ghosts of Providence – Bike Thief
Swing – ALM Productions (Avignon, France)
A hip hop enthusiast from a young age, ALM offers us a journey through time. Starting with 1930s samples and swing jazz exclusively from old vinyl he builds layers out of those old sounds accompanied by rhythmic old school hip hop, sometimes very “dirty”, but always impressive. Everything is inflated by the very powerful and enriched sounds of vintage synthesizers and subs.
His work seems to be geared towards sound for sync licensing but you can still enjoy it free from Jamendo.
Just do it…every night – ALM Productions
Who Is Right Now? - Twin Bother (Milwaukee, WI, USA)
Twin Brother has been kicking about their musical aspirations in the upper Midwest in various formations throughout their collective years in Milwaukee, rooted in the steady musical (and comradic) bond between vocalist/guitarist Sean Raasch and drummer Tyler Nelson.
The energetic pop-rock duo, Jackraasch is where Twin Brother really took off, and their progression into their freshly determined (but still easy-spirited) music is a testament.
It wasn’t until Raasch and Nelson ironed out those early-20s’ wrinkles in their Jackraasch days that they set their form to fly true by joining forces with musical comrade, Lodewijk (“Lodi”) Broekhuizen on bass and violin and set to writing, together, with Raasch at the helm. The three matured and bonded with their new musical form, claiming its name of Twin Brother (holding familial meaning to Raasch), flying right and singing out with a sincere, new sound.
Early 2013 saw Twin Brother reach out, pull in and collaborate even further with several Milwaukee musician friends to set to tape Raasch’s songs filled with nervous conviction. Nelson’s busy but delicate shuffle on the kit and Broekhuizen’s steady bass and strings set the ground solidly for additional strings from Nathaniel Heuer and Amelinda Burich (upright bass and viola, respectively) and lapsteel from Shawn Stephany (all of Milwaukee’s Altos).
That collaborative taping lead to Twin Brother’s fully realized and sparsely beautiful self-titled debut, Swallow The Anchor which The Onion’s AV Club hailed as “[taking] the basic elements of folk and graft[ing] them to the fraying body of alt-rock.” True enough, Twin Brother’s debut held fast to modern folk efforts but was singed through with the defiant energy of the 90s — heartfelt and winsome but with plenty of piss and vinegar, playing off of Raasch’s lyrically acerbic but hopeful viewpoint.
Way To Be – Twin Brother
Exhale – Sonar Live Mix – Plastikman (Windsor / Berlin)
Richie Hawtin is many things – an extraordinary DJ, creator of the ENTER. experience, mastermind behind the M_NUS label, technological innovator, art aficionado – in 2011 he collaborated with British sculptor Anish Kapoor for an installation in Paris – and style icon. Before this, though, and perhaps most famously of all, he was and is Plastikman, an electronic music phenomenon whose followers are legion and fanatic.
Between 1993 and 2003, Plastikman created an astonishing body of work, one that didn’t so much define a time and place as explode them, expanding the dimensions of Detroit techno and redefining the possibilities of electronic dance music. Across six albums (‘Sheet One’, ‘Musik’, ‘Recycled Plastik’, ‘Consumed’, ‘Artifakts (B.C.)’, and ‘Closer)’ and numerous singles such as ‘Spastik’, ‘Plastique’, and ‘Sickness’, Plastikman evolved into one of contemporary electronic music’s most distinctive voices: minimalist, psychedelic, seriously groove-laden, and ever mindful of the transcendent properties of electronica.
On the evening of 6 November 2013, at the invitation of Raf Simons of Dior, a special Plastikman live show composed of entirely new material took place at the Guggenheim Museum, NYC. The album, EX, was released in June, and then days after its release, a second performance took place at the renowned Sónar festival in Barcelona.
Plastikman has now unveiled a live recording of EXhale from the Barcelona performance – the Sónar Live Mix – available as an MP3 / AIFF to download for free.
EX Plastikman’s first album release since 2003’s Closer, and is out now on vinyl, CD, digital and limited edition SubPac bundle. For the limited edition, Plastikman teamed up with SubPac to create a Limited Edition Premium Bundle: the album is presented on vinyl, with a signed certificate of authenticity and a custom Plastikman edition of the SubPac S1.
Here’s the video of the Barcelona performance.
The 108th episode is rock, pop, alternative. BPM range: 108-184.
To experience and enjoy running and working out exactly to the beat of great indie music, please subscribe to the The JogTunes Indie Podcast or get the MP3. You can download it directly in iTunes. Or access it with 2 taps using the JogTunes app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch available on the App Store and on our Android app on Google Play.
You're invited to indulge yourself in some fast, interval, beat match running, featuring 11 great indie artists, coming to you by way of Music Clout, SCG Media, and Cyber PR.
The BPM range is from an easy going walk at 108 to 3 interval runs, each at 184, to John Olzard's "That Was The Day."
My thanks goes to all of the artists for their kind music contributions and to Dave Porter of Music Clout, Sarah Chipman of SCG Media, and Andrew Salmon of Cyber PR, for their help in providing the talent.
More thanks goes to the talented Troy Warden for his great intro.
At JogTunes.com, you'll find purchase links to all of the tunes from all of our podcast episodes as well as over 2500 BPM-rated workout tunes from label and indie artists.
And don't forget our JogTunes App in the iTunes App Store and Google Play. It's a really fast and easy way to work out to the JTIP and to get new free episodes. A couple of taps on the app and you're off and running. I love the convenience when I work out to the show. I think you will too.
Enjoy the show and may your next run be your best one.
Please note: You should consult with your doctor before starting any exercise program. Neither JogTunes nor Dr. Bob will be liable for any complications, injuries, loss or other medical problems arising from or in connection with using this service. Also, please note that "BPM" refers to the tempo of a tune and the number of foot falls per minute, not your heart rate.
1. Goodbye Heart – Just Kids (Seattle, E.U.A.)
2. Kingslynn – Compositions (Miama, E.U.A.)
Mp3 grátis: Noisetrade
3. Sun Glitters – Closer To The Sun (Luxemburgo)
Comprar: Mush Records
4. Nancy – Moonchild (Helsínquia, Finlândia)
Comprar: VILD Music Company
5. Color Theory – Headphones (Huntington Beach, E.U.A.)
6. Sensual Harassment – Rescue Me (Brooklyn, E.U.A.)
Mp3 grátis: Sítio oficial
7. Das Fluff – Rage (Londres, Inglaterra)
Comprar: Loja oficial
Trent joins me on the podcast today, as we talk about his junior year this fall and more!
Ok, more updates – updates on living situation, work, and my son Trent (of t-rentshow.com )!! Maybe will have another update episode soon!!
Yeah, I’m back – updates!!
And What was the reason behind last weeks missing show?
- Plini: Rupture (Sydney, Australia)
- Exist Immortal: Edge of Infinity (London, UK)
- Polar: Before The Storm, featuring Ellie Price (UK)
- Helmsplitter: Panzram (Illinois, USA)
- Miroist: The Closing of your Eye (London, UK)
- Patron Saint of Plagues: Teddy Scare Picnic (Ottawa, Canada, Distilled)
- Pillbuster: Hateburn (VA, USA, Distilled)
- Dark Days Ahead: North Star Blues (Finland)
- Fisthammer: Thousand Yard Stare (Pennsylvania, USA)
- Tricore: Kings
- Mach22: Radio (USA) (Pictured)
- Gunpowder Gray: Saints (USA)
- Seventh Seeker: The Waining Moon (Southampton, UK)
- An Entire Legion: Chew We Love
- Scary D and Sinister G: Witches (California, USA, Distilled)
- We Are The Damned: Angelsick (Portuagal)
- Ferium: Downhill From Nothing (Israel)
- Sabbatory: Orbiting Obscuron (Canada)
- Reverted: Tolerance (London, UK)
- Stories: Masks (Sydney, Australia)
- Kaizan: Odan (Mexico)
- Ravenous: Deathstiny (Southampton, UK, Coffee Jingle Records)
- Being As An Ocean: Death’s Great Black Wings Scrapes The Air
This week, a special as I’m away. This is what I consider the best tracks we’ve played on the show this year so far. Comment if you think otherwise.
Picture: Baby Metal
- Deaf Angel: Run to Me (USA)
- Wolves like Us: Your Word is Law (Norway, Prosthetic Music)
- Psychostick: Obey the Beard (Canada, Asher)
- Aviator Shades: Ready to Blow (Canada, Asher)
- Relief in Sleep: Witness (USA)
- Neverafter: Debt to Pay (USA)
- Klogr: Draw Closer (Italy/USA, Zeta Factory/Believe, Stampede)
- Clouds in Contrast: Allure (UK)
- Lacuna Coil: Nothing Stands (Italy)
- Step Echo: Songs for The Broken (Canada)
- Ancient Ascendent: Patterns of Bane
- Baby Metal: ギミチョコ！！(Give Me Chocolate) (Japan)
- Fake Idols: My Favorite Game (Italy, Lifeforce)
- Anup L Sastry: Nemesis (USA)
- Collisions: We Know The Enemy (UK)
- Fury: Warrior Prayer (UK)
- Methiums: Bouyanci (Indonesia)
- Cypher16: Lonely Road (UK)
- Shadow Host: Treason (Russia)
- October File: Heroes are Welcome (UK)
- Die So Fluid: Comets (UK/USA)
- Exmortus: Warrior of The Night (Canada, Asher)
- Ayahuasca: Wolves (Canada)
- Pale Divine: Cemetery Earth (USA)
- Skarlett Riot: Rock N Roll Queen (UK)
- Crashdollz: Dollhouse (USA)
- Ghost of War: We’re an American Band (USA)
"Shred The Track [produced for passion2moves's Shred The Deck]" - without.directive; Geeknotes: See Tegan and Sara Backstage, Beau Barry Jazz Quartet, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE: Poetry, Prose & Everything Goes...; Open Mic Stage: "New Beginning" - Dubarray, "My Friend" - James Elvidge, "Bana Her Yol Paris Hilton (Paris Hilton to me Every Way)" - Sehabe, "Endless Reel (live)" - Geodesik, "The Garden" - the silk demise, "Summer Happy" - Elonious; Map Room: Scientists unlock the future of beer, Scientists discover mechanism that could regrow damaged nerves, New water desalination technology makes ocean water drinkable; Venue Verite: Not This Week...; Music Bed: "Morning Murmur" track from Coffivity.com
Picture: Die So Fluid
- Polar: Vipers (UK)
- Die So Fluid: Comets (UK)
- Zaius: Exordium (Chicago, USA)
- Betrayed by Weakness: Institution (USA)
- Ayahuasca: Hopelessly Insame and On Fire (Canada)
- The Fury: In To The Dark (UK)
- Ghost of War: Falling into Eternity (Penssylvania, USA)
- Shokran: the New Battalions (Russia)
- Oceans Apart: Break The Cycle (Wales)
- The Liberty Underground: Pro Anti-War (Texas, USA)
- Exmortus: Warrior of the Night (Canada)
- Jupiter Zeus: I Am (Australia)
- Requiem for Oblivion: Tortured (USA)
- Only I: May Dance (Australia)
- Plini: Orm (Scotland)
- Exist Immortal: Legions (London, UK)
- Klogr: Zero Tolerance (Italy)
- Coldwar: Abandonment of Being (Candlelight Records, Ireland)
- Loath: Xeroxed (Inverse Records, Finland)
- Tricore: Xhibish (UK)
- Helmsplitter: Tyrants for Blood (Illinois, USA)
- Vredehammer: We Are The Sacrifice (Indie Recordings, Norway)
- Riot Club: Pearls before Swine (Finland)
No way I was gonna do a show today, after all, but check out Adam Watson's very appropriate poem for the day. Also: podzine housekeeping and personal updates. New show next week...
- The Liberty Underground: Never Let Up Texas, USA
- October File: All Rise, All Fail UK, Pictured, by Ester Segarra
- Mos Generator: Breaker USA
- The Cold Rush: Go 2 Hell Germany, Jamendo
- Sight of Emptiness: Deception Costa Rica
- Endless Chaos: Condemned to The Pit Manitoba, Canada
- Crashdollz: Wrecking Ball Detroit, USA
- Merge: In Details Part 2 Paris, France, Redcord Records
- Betrayed by Weakness: Lipstick USA
- Exmortus: Slave to The Sword Canada
- Ayahuasca: Lead Poisoning Canada
- Slander: Alive, Living, Leaving Italy
- With Different Eyes: //The Distance Poland
- Ghost of War: Beautiful Lies Pennsylvania, USA
- Adastrae: Vice Versa Paris, France
- Muldjord: All Hail Metal Denmark
- Anup L. Shastry: Lion USA
- Shokran: Sands of Time Russia
- Oceans Apart: Embody Wales
- Cypher 16: Giant Walls UK
- Dark Days Ahead: Between the Walls of Fire Finland
- Step Echo: Too Much Canada
- October File: Heroes are Welcome UK
- Anup L. Shastry: Nemesis USA
- Fake Idols: Switch Italy, Lifeforce, Pictured
- Shokran: Collapses Russia
- Wretched Pain: Hatriot Canada
- Step Echo: Ugly Canada
- The Fifth Circle: Tow The Line Vancouver, Canada
- Sigiriya: Dragging The Bones Swansea, Wales
- Sigma Project: Lightbulb Brazil
- Pariah: Disposable Toronto, Canada
- Deathrite: Plagues Germany
- Dorthal: Frequency France
- Separatist: Carrier Tasmania
- Exit Strategy: The Atrocity Machine Calgary, Canada
- Lethal Halo: Soverereigny Canada
- Baby Metal: ヘドバンギャー！！ (Head Bangya!!) Japan
- Oceans Apart: No Going Back Cardiff, Wales
- Cultfinder: Drink to The Devil Farmborough, UK
- Shadow Host: Treason Moscow, Russia
- Only I: Brothers of a Broken Home Melbourne, Australia
- Dead Earth Politics: The Queen of Steel Texas, USA
"everything looks like water (clay remix)" - CelloJoe; Geeknotes: Bay Area Generations #7, Jenene Ravesloot @ "the Cafe Gallery", Eva Lin, Drew Torres, Lauren O'Brien, Roland Ramos & 2nd Chance For Liars at NMP, Nicholas Barron - New Chicago Blues and Soul, Tony Fitzpatrick - The Secret Birds; Open Mic Stage: "Addict (DJ R3xXx Remix)" - DJ R3xXx, "The Fourth Estate" - R.M. Isaiah, "Vicious Theme" - Pic Vicious, "Now It's Dark" - Elefaux, "My Blue Sea" - Castles In Spain, "Dance While The Sky Crashes Down" - Jason Webley, "We Are Waiters" - The 21st Century, "What Do I Have To Do" - Wicked Mercies; Map Room: Myth That 10,000 Hours Of Practice Can Turn Anyone Into Expert Has Been Debunked, Revolutionary Solar-Powered Toilet, Would You Customize Your First Born Child; Venue Verite: Not This Week...; Music Bed: "Everything Burns (Instrumental)" - Ben Moody
- Ghost of War: We’re An American Band Pennsylvania, USA
- Collisions: We Know The Enemy Brighton, UK
- Fury: Warrior’s Prayer UK
- Ancient Ascendent: Riders Reading, UK, Candlelight
- Ogre: Bad Trip Maine, USA
- Skarlett Riot: What We’ve Become Scunthorpe, UK
- Talk Us Down: Speak The Truth Folkstone, UK
- Skam: Rivers Leicester, UK
- Of Allies: In Screams Hull, UK
- Beretta Suicide: Another Wolf in The Wings Leeds, UK
- Fake Idols: My Favourite Game Italy, Lifeforce
- Adastrae: The Fall Paris, France
- Megatherio: Morte Eterna Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Muldjord: Saving an Angel from God Denmark
- Platzdarm: Double Game Russia
- Gravehill: At Hell’s Command USA, Dark Descent Records, Clawhammer
- Methiums: Bouyanci Indonesia
- Shokran: Croatlus Russia
- Coltsblood: Abyss of Aching Insanity UK
- Cypher 16: Lonely Road UK
- Apparitions: The Inferno (Part 2) USA
- Attica Rage: Dark City UK
- Breed77: Higher UK
- Breed77: Zombie UK
- Corrosion of Conformity: Feed On UK, Scion
- Corrosion of Conformity: The Meglodon UK, Scion
- Darkane: The Sinister Supremacy Sweden
- Darkane: By Darkness Designed Sweden
- Feed The Rhino: Mr. Red Eye UK
- Grand Magus: Live The Oar Strikes The Water Sweden, Nuclear Blast
- GraVil: March of The Titans UK
- GraVil: Thoughts of a Rising Sun UK
- Imicus: The Marionette UK
- Imicus: Chameleons UK
- Kreator: Warcurse Germany
- Savage Messiah: All Seeing I UK
- Shrapnel: Titan Norwich, UK, Candlelight
- Shrapnel: The Virus Conspires Norwich, UK, Candlelight
- Soilwork: Nerve Sweden
- Soilwork: Bastard Chain Sweden
- Stormbringer: Save Me UK
- Stormbringer: Welcome to Hell UK
- Sworn Amongst: And So It Begins UK
- Sworn Amongst: Rejection UK
- Unleashed: Dead Forever Sweden
"Goya no Machiawase" - Hello Sleepwalkers (Noragami, '14); Geeknotes: March Music Connection, Jamie Lynn Fletcher, Words As Works/Punk Hostage Press at Pegasus Books, Tom Roby @ "the Cafe Gallery," Raw Feed @ Elizabeth's Crazy Little Thing, Lair'z St. Patrix Birthdaze, G.P.A. & Roberta Miles @ Waiting 4 the Bus - Special guest host Robin Fine; Open Mic Stage: "Respect for the dead man" - Pay money To my Pain, featuring Ken & Teru from Crossfaith (Nobunagun, '14), "X Jigen e Youkoso" - Etsuko Yakushimaru (Space Dandy, '14), "Database feat. TAKUMA (10 Feet)" - MAN WITH A MISSION (Log Horizon, '13), "Kaze ga Shitteru" by Akai Kouen, or Ko-en (Toaru Hikuushi e Kouta / Love Song of a Certain Pilot,'14), "Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui (No Matter How I Look At It, It's You, Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular!,'13)" - Konomi Suzuki n' Kiba of Akiba, "FLAT" by livetune plus Yuuki Ozaki from Galileo Galilei (Hamatora the Animation, '14), "Out of Control" - Nothing's Carved in Stone (Pycho-Pass, '13), "Parallax View" - Sumire Uesaka (Hoozuki no Reitetsu /, '14), "Set Them Free" - Akira Jimbo (Tonari no Seki-kun / Master of Killing Time, '14); Map Room: Autonomous drones flock like birds, Microgrids will soon make large electrical grids obsolete, Four women with transplanted wombs are trying to get pregnant with IVF; Venue Verite: Hunter X Hunter 2011 Episode 116 Review: Gon Vs. Neferpitou Controversy - MechaBladeZ; Music Bed: Eitetsu Hayashi, Japan's Premier Solo Taiko Drummer - ARTmania Comm
"Close but Far" - 2Face; Geeknotes: Elizabeth Marino @ "the Cafe Gallery," Bill Yarrow @ AWP Bookfair, "A HOME BRINGING FOR AMIRI"; Open Mic Stage: Australia's record-breaking summer helped push average global - Greenshack Dotinfo, "Mexican Roadtrip" - Glitter Canyon, "Fencing" - Ben Rogers' Instrumental Asylum, "Middle Names" - CERES, 2013 was hottest year on record in Australia - NewsBBCInternational, "May 24 " - Trophy Eyes, "Just is Justice" - Sam Wylde, "Black Light ft. Elyse Beer" - Victor Y, "Christopher Walken Fan Club" - Undercast, A MESSAGE FROM THE PRIME MINISTER - DROUGHT AFFECTED REGIONAL AUSTRALIA - Tony Abbott, "Really Do It Ft. Greta Stanley" - Savo; Map Room: Instant skin graft spray gun offers new treatment for burn victims, New 3D printed materials lighter than water and as strong as steel; Venue Verite: Climate Change Skeptic Does 180 On Global Warming1766 - Jayna Agurs; Music Bed: Sounds from "Sights and Sounds of an Australian Beach" - SHELLAH59